When one thinks of what healthy living means they often think about both physical and mental health. Physical and mental health are linked closely to one another, therefore, a change in one affects the other. Salus Homecare, knowing how important it is to care for your health at home, offers caregiving and nursing services throughout San Diego, to assist them in taking charge of their health.
The path to creating a healthy mind and body begins at home. Further reading will explore healthy tips that will include major components considered to be part of a lifestyle that promotes overall good health. All of the tips provided can be experimented with in the privacy of your own home and are possible regardless of age. Proper nutrition is necessary for growth and maintenance of a healthy body.
Healthy Eating Tips
- Eat three meals a day.
- A healthy diet consists of foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains and low-fat dairy products.
- Opt for lean meats, poultry, fish, nuts, eggs and beans for your sources of protein.
- Control portion sizes; eat the smallest portion that will satisfy your hunger.
- Eat snacks in moderation and choose foods such as fruits, nuts and whole grains. These will satisfy your hunger without causing excessive weight gain.
- Avoid high sugar drinks and sodas related to the excessive calories they provide. Diet drinks aren’t always the solution either as they increase hunger in some people causing overeating.
- To prevent gastro-esophageal reflux and avoid unnecessary weight gain, avoid eating a large meal before going to sleep.
Healthy Tips for Exercise
A regular exercise program can prevent and reverse decreases in muscle mass and strength that are age-related. It also contributes to improved balance, flexibility, endurance, and builds bone strength preventing osteoporosis. Regular exercise also prevents major illnesses such as hypertension, heart disease, stroke, and diabetes. Regular exercise increases self-esteem and self-confidence, reduces stress and anxiety, and enhances your mood which improves your overall mental health. Here are some tips to get started:
- It is recommended to complete 30 minutes of modest exercise, including walking, at least 3 -5 days a week. The more you exercise, the greater your benefits.
- You’re never too old to start an exercise program – You will get the same benefits whether you are 20 or 90 years old.
- Almost any type of exercise is beneficial including water aerobics, resistance, walking, yoga, swimming or weight training.
- It’s ok to break down your exercise sessions into easy five or ten minute segments to make working out more manageable.
- Progress exercise gradually to prevent fatigue and excessive soreness.
- It is usually not necessary to consult your physician for an exercise such as walking, however, if considering a more rigorous program it may be beneficial to seek advice.
Healthy Tips for Your Mental Health
- Get enough quality sleep daily, at least 7 – 9 hours.
- Frequently try something new. This may be a new food, restaurant, activity or even a new route to work.
- Communication is important for mental health. Talk with others frequently about your future goals, thoughts, feelings, interests, and whatever else comes to mind.
- Every week make time for a leisurely activity such as your favorite sport, activity or hobby.
- Set limits for yourself. Learn ways to say no. This is necessary so you don’t get involved in activities you don’t have time for or don’t want to do.
Some general healthy tips include avoiding tobacco, excessive alcohol intake, and high risk sexual behavior. As this is by no means an all-inclusive list, following these tips will help you start your journey in healthy living. A journey that can be begun at any age to take charge of your health.
There is no ads to display, Please add some